matthew george young stockman award sub-fund
- award criteria
- award application
- award recipients
- make a donation
Matthew George of Stockyard Hill was tragically taken in a car accident in November 2007, at 21 years of age.
Matthew had an absolute love of animals together with a thirst for knowledge and a passion for breeding. Matthew’s dream was to travel overseas to study developments in beef cattle breeding and to bring this knowledge back to Australia to enhance our herds by sharing this knowledge with fellow breeders.
The Matthew George Young Stockman Award was established in September 2008 as a sub-fund of The Ballarat Foundation to allow young breeders, aged 18 to 25 years, the opportunity to live Matthew’s dream.
This award offers a wonderful opportunity annually to one deserving young stockman to travel overseas, to become an ambassador for the industry, to study other beef cattle breeding programs, developments and practises and then to share their new found knowledge to advance the beef cattle industry in Australia.
Matthew’s industry colleagues and friends were instrumental in establishing this award through their generosity along with support from business, both locally and across the country. A fundraising dinner auction was held after Angus judging day at the 2008 Royal Melbourne Show, raising the initial funds to operate the award on an annual basis.
The annual award recipient will be announced at an industry dinner associated with the Royal Melbourne Show.
Through the special powers of the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal a Regional Donation Account has been established that allows individuals and business to contribute to this fund by way of tax deductible donations.
The Matthew George Award criteria can be downloaded here
download award criteria PDF)
submission of application
Applications submitted to:
The Ballarat Foundation
PO Box 50
Ballarat VIC 3353
Applications close at 5.00 pm on 31 July each year.
Applications are now open and will close on 31 July 2014.
The Matthew George Award Application can be downloaded here
download award appication)
- 2013 Kate Henne from Yan Yean Vic, and Shannon Lawlor from Scholfields NSW click here to read more>>>
Click here to download the image of the 2013 winners
Click here to read about Shannon's North American Journey.
- 2012 Cameron Cutler, Neerim South, Vic click here to read more>>>
Click Here to read Cameron's Facebook Journal
- 2011 Tahnee Manton, Inverell, New South Wales. click here to read more >>> Click Here to read Tahnee's Blog
- 2010 Rachael Wheeler, Peak Hill, New South Wales. click here to read more >>>
Click Here to read Rachael's Blog
Click Here to read Rachael's Study Report
- 2009 Clare Bruggemann, Mallala ,South Australia. click here to read more >>>
click here to download a donation form
- Angus Australia
- Australian Gelbvieh Association
- Australian Highland Cattle Soc Inc
- Australian Limousin Society
- Australian Red Poll Cattle Breeders
- Belted Galloway Association
- Charolais Society of Australia
- Dexter Cattle Australia Inc
- Herefords Australia
- Murray Grey Beef Cattle Soc Ltd
- Rachael Wheeler´s, Blog
- Santa Gertrudis Breeders' (Aust) Ass
- Shorthorn Society of Australia
- Simmental Australia
- Click Here to read Tahnee's Blog
- Click Here to read Cameron's Facebook Journal